Pages

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

A Runner

It's no secret that I am obsessed with Disney. Co-workers don't ask me what I'm doing for the weekend, they ask me which Disney park will I be going to this week. It's a good obsession to have, so I'm not complaining.

I have always wanted to participate in a Run Disney event. Originally I wanted to do the Epcot's Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon, but it sold out quicker than I was able to register. My next option was the Princess 1/2 Marathon, but from what I have heard, it is wicked crowded so for a first race, may not the best option.

Early this year I had put all the pre-register dates on my calendar - just in case. I had completely forgotten that today was the beginning of preregistration for the Walt Disney World Marathon weekend for Passholders (one of the many perks), until my calendar alert notified me on my phone.

Naturally, I was working while registration opened so I decided to wait until I got home. I made a deal with myself that if the price was under a certain dollar amount and if it hadn't sold out in the time it opened until the time I got home from work, then I was going to do it.

Well, I got home, walked my dogs, emptied my snack bag and washed my snack containers and then my reminder to check the registration went off on my phone. I checked, it was still open and the price was within the range I preset, so I registered.

I'm an extravert and thrive on being around people. I usually don't do something on my own unless I know someone is going to be there, so this is completely out of my comfort zone. I'm 32 years old. I can do this.

The race isn't until January, so I have plenty of time to train. I realize that the time is going to go by so fast and there will come a point when I will be like "Oh crap! the race is this weekend" but my goal and hope is that when that time comes, I will be prepared and will be able to say, "I got this!"

I have only ever ran 3 miles without stopping. I have a long way to go to get to 13.1, but I can do it! It won't be easy, but the achievement and the accomplishment will be well worth it in the end.

So here it goes. I'm doing a half marathon. I'm slightly freaking out, but I am determined to run across that finish line. Whether or not I run the entire 13.1 doesn't matter. What matters is I am doing this for me and no one else.

 "Strength doesn't come from what you can do.
It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment