I'm not a blogger. I've never been really good at keeping up with one. In fact in most cases (4) I have created a blog, done really well for about oh a week or so and then I go and delete it. I don't really know what to write about. I know a lot of people who blog and are good at it, who have tons of followers and just find joy about telling the world about their life. I've never been that person. But, I heard or read some where that in order to keep yourself accountable you have to tell people your goals. Whether or not any one will ever read this is irrelevant. I'm doing this for me.
By now most everyone has made their New Year's resolutions and has probably broken then all the same. For the first time I actually feel different about my typical resolutions. The ones I make every year (they are always the same) and yet in the past i have never fully kept up with them. Until now. We're already 3 weeks into the New Year and it's usually at this point when my resolutions seem to falter, until now. I don't know what has sparked in me this year to make me feel differently, but there's something and I can't put my finger on it.
Maybe it's that my work life is so great that even the head of the department has told me on countless occasions that I'm a valuable asset to the company, or maybe it's that I've started and failed so many times in the past I actually want to accomplish a goal and see what it feels like? Whatever the reason I'm more motivated than ever to make a change and stick with it. I know it's not going to be easy, or quick, but a lifestyle change is more than a resolution, it's a way of life. It's making myself aware of what I'm are doing and taking conscience effort to be a better person. It's listening instead of talking, it's stopping to breathe, it's being simple instead of complicated, it's being me- but better.
I'm not sure I want to call these "goals" of mine resolutions but a change in how I react to situations. Where in the past I turned to food for comfort, I've got to find a different outlet for my emotions. Where in the past I complained about things that weren't going my way, I've got to be content with this life I've been given and realize that not everything is always going to go my way - nor should it all the time. Where in the past I used retail therapy (credit cards) to buy the things I wanted and barely had the money for the things I needed, I've got to realize that I don't need everything - just because I may want that designer bag, or shoes doesn't mean that I need them right then.
So the change for 2010:
1. Quit using food as a comforter, find another way to release emotions - go for a walk, a run, go to the gym, something active. That chocolate chip cookie may seem like the answer but in the end it just ends up on the hips and makes me feel even worse than before.
2. Be content - easier said than done, but realize that this life was given for a purpose and a reason and at times it may seem like there is no hope - remember to be content.
3. Save.save.save. - I'm in the perfect place to be able to save so much. I'm living with my parents rent free- there is no reason I shouldn't be able to save the majority of my pay check for a house. Keeping in mind that it will take time and although living with the parents my seem daunting and not ideal - it IS truly the best situation for saving. And in this economy saving is key.
4. love.learn.listen - Love is such a simple word with such a complex meaning. Love is easier said than done, but love is the key to happiness. It's the Greatest command. Jesus told us to love our neighbors - and our neighbors could be anyone and everyone. Love. Learn - learn from others, learn from myself just learn something I didn't know before. Listen to God - meaning - read the Bible - open my heart to God's plan.
No comments:
Post a Comment