Yesterday (Feb. 9th) was my 27th birthday. My co-workers surprised me with a Red Velvet Cake (my fave) in the afternoon. I gave in and had 2 pieces - and felt really guilty afterward. I went to the gym, worked out really hard and felt better about eating the 2 pieces of cake.
Then today, one of our brokers came in and had made a Red Velvet cake from scratch the night before and brought some in for us. Remembering how guilty I felt and how horrible I felt after eating yesterday's cake I refrained all morning. Instead, I got my mind off of the tantalizing desert by running up three-flights of stairs, getting a bottle of water and running down 3 flights of stairs to my desk to drop the water off, and then running up and down three-flights of stairs two more times. Luckily no one saw or questioned what I was doing.
I went to lunch and thought, "you know, one piece isn't going to be a huge deal" then I thought, "no, one piece starts a chain of junk food eating and I can't go to the gym today or tomorrow so I really shouldn't eat a piece" Then I thought, "what if I just tried a bite? just to see if it was any good? Just a bite won't hurt anything" Let me tell you this dialog in my head went on during my entire lunch hour. It was like I had fat girl on one shoulder and skinny girl on the other battling it out.
Luckily it was all a moot point and when I got back to work the cake had already been completely devoured and I was saved from myself and Red Velvet goodness.
But...I had the willpower to refrain in the very beginning. Had I not, then I would probably be sitting here typing about how bad I feel because of all the sugar I ate in cake form.
I'm proud of myself! Maybe I do have willpower after all. Though the true test will come this weekend when my niece and nephew are in town. We are celebrating my nephew's first birthday and are making a cake for him and everyone else. This will be a true test - because we will have cake leftover for a few days afterward here at the house.
Good job, friend. You can do it! It was so nice to talk to you last night. Love you!
ReplyDelete